Saturday, February 2, 2013

Reaching Your Goals, With A Little Help From Your Friends (Commute by muscle, 104 times in 52 weeks)

"Let's walk," says my friend.  

I start to say, "It's cold. Let's drive."  


Conversation in my head


"OK. Let's walk."  

The sun comes out for the first time in a week.  She points out daisies blooming in the grass.





Another day, it's pouring rain, so naturally I drive.  A friend shows up in a snazzy neon jacket, leggings and a dress, ruddy cheeked and smiling.  She bicycled and she looked great. Could have been me. Should have.


From cyclingtops.com

Sunday morning, hunched over the laptop and the man of the house says, "I'm going for a walk.  Want to come?"

 [No.]  

...


We walk seven miles.  It's cold and foggy, but doesn't take long to warm up.  We see brave souls getting ready for the polar plunge fundraiser for the Special Olympics.  If that doesn't make me feel wimpy ...


2012 Polar Plunge, photo by KVAL
  
Ten weeks to go.  Life and love might pull me over the finish line, in spite of myself.  

(Update on the quest to commute, powered by muscle, 104 times in 52 weeks.  Week 40:  walked 2x, bicycled zero. Week 41:  walked 2x, bicycled zero.  Week 42:  walked 2x, bicycled zero. Start date and end date:  April 15.  Grand total:  95, 11 in the bank).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time is relative. Comments absolutely appreciated.