Saturday, October 20, 2012

Weeks 25 & 26: Walking Counts


New Rule:  in the quest to cycle at least twice a week for a year, from here on out a commute on foot hereby counts as a bicycle ride.  

It was April when I decided to drive less and bicycle more.  What was I was thinking? Winter wouldn't come again?  


My town, Oct.-April
July brought the discovery that it is possible to wipe out for no good reason, without the aid of cars, pedestrians or bad weather: (http://jbw0123.blogspot.com/2012/07/ow-week-14-and-book-review.html).  

It seems sensible to give myself slack.  If it's dark, wet, cold, if there are leaves piled dangerously in the bike path, if my inner warning system is hollering don't do it, I won't. The point is, after all, to Get Out Of the Car. My feet work fine. We have plenty of shoes.  





Yeah, walking is slow, a little lonely ...

...and presents challenges ...
Through or around?  Through or around?

but there's something to be said for making it through the season in one piece. Vive la pedestrians.  


“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? 'Ride,' Pleasure said; 'Walk,' Joy replied.”  ― W.H. Davies


What adjustments do you make for winter commutes?  Or are you lucky enough to live in a sunny place where weather isn't an issue?  

Update on the quest to bicycle commute sans fossil fuels 104 times in 52 weeks.  Week 25:  rode/commuted twice.  Week 26:  2 rides + one walk to the store.  Grand total:   68 (16 in the bank).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time is relative. Comments absolutely appreciated.